Shine Your Light Youth Vocal Competition 2020
Preliminary Video Audition: Deadline for submission is Friday, August 7 at 5:00 pm
Competition: Friday, August 28, 2020, from 6-8 pm
The auditions and competition are open to kids and teens ages 5-18. Contestants will perform in one of three divisions: Youth (Ages 5-8), Middle (Ages 9-13) and Teen (Ages 14-18). The Shine Your Light competition is open to residents of Tennessee and surrounding states. Audition registration available on RayOfLightTN.com*.
Accepting video auditions through Fridaym August 7 at 5:00 pm.
**First and most importantly you must have already submitted your SYL Application and Audition Fee of $30. If you haven’t, please make sure you do that first. Thank you.
You should record your video in the spirit of a live audition or performance. You may record at home with good natural acoustics without an audience. You should dress professionally, as you would for a live audition or performance
• Your camera should record from a fixed position as if three adjudicators were seated in front of you.
• You should face straight forward to the camera as you would appear to adjudicators in a live audition.
• Your video recordings must clearly show your face and most of your upper body.
• Your song must be 2 minutes or less
• You must sing with an accompaniment track with no background vocals accompanying.
• Introduce yourself — first and last name and age and song selection at the beginning of the video.
• My name is <First Name> <Last Name>. I will sing <Title of Song> by <Artist Name>.
• You must perform your song from memory on your recording. Do not read lyrics during your song.
Ways to send your video-Email, YouTube, Dropbox and Google Drive
• Please note that you must select "unlisted" in the Privacy settings found under the broadcasting and Sharing Options section when uploading your video file to YouTube.
• You must share the link to RayofLightTn@gmail.com and BlandinaVC@gmail.com
Dropbox and Google Drive
• You must share or email link to RayofLightTn@gmail.com and BlandinaVC@gmail.com
The following video problems would make them invalid.
• Videos recorded with guided vocals and background vocals
• Video’s with songs longer than 2 minutes
• Videos with “private’ sharing options (see above).
• Videos that pan and zoom during performances.
• Videos using additional recording equipment other than the camera on your phone.
• Videos that are digitally altered.
*Raymond Cruz valiantly fought a battle with Stage 4 Ewing-like Sarcoma from 2017-2019. Throughout his battle, he was given the opportunity to share his message of hope with people through his music, from the hallways of Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital to the stage of the Ryman. Ray and his mother, Blandina, started the Shine Your Light Youth Vocal Competition in 2019 to raise funds for the Vanderbilt Children's Hospital where Ray received his treatments. Ray's family and friends will continue the competition in Ray's name and with his spirit guiding them.